first i have been tagged by my favorite crazy bret michaels loving with me friend Linda and the ever so talented and funny girl Valerie
to list the 4th photo in the 4th folder in my computer so here it is:

this is a picture of a building that was being flooded by Hurricane Ike
next the topic of choice is Christmas.
i use to be an advid Christmas fan...i loved loved loved christmas but the last few years i have hated it less and less... i dread the whole tree and decorating thing. And that is sooooo (normally) not me. What has happened? As i sit back and think the only thing I can come up with is that the shopping gets me. As much as I love to shop i can't stand shopping for others. It bothers me because I think that what I am getting is cheesy or not good enough. It's a racket it my opinion.
When i was little my mom and dad made sure we had a great christmas. My brother and i really didn't get throughout the year so at christmas we got a living room full of awesome stuff. So of course i think my kids should too, BUT they get thoughout the year so when xmas comes there is nothing to buy them really because they already have it. Our fault YES...is it going to stop YES! because i went and shopped for them and the only thing we could get them was some things for the DS and the Wii....how sad is that. So this year i am putting my foot down and they will not have a big huge christmas like in the past. It stops this year...and maybe after this christmas the future ones will be better for me. We'll see...
What's your thoughts on Christmas? Am I the only one?










14 comments:
I'm excited by the prospect of Christmas, but the kids know the toys come from me . . . so while they still believe in Santa (he stuffs the stockings), they aren't expecting a huge amount of things. Which is good.
I'm not really in the mood to decorate either. But now that the kids are older, they really want the lights up.
Christmas is my FAVORITE.....but it's a very tight year this year...as I'm sure it is for a lot of people. SO we told our kids that every day we will do SOMETHING together as a family (even if it's having hot chocolate and watching one of the specials). I told them they get to ask for three things (One from Santa, one from each of their Aunties) and for them to remember that CHRISTmas isn't about the gifts. I'm sure they'll be not super thrilled on the day...but hopefully I can come up with something meaningful to give them that I make! :)
Hi Greta
i can understand why you feel this way. it does seem like Christmas gets so commercialized. of course it is our fault, but it can drive me crazy too. my family knows that year will not be the same. my kids are grown and my grandson is only 11 months old. i don't think my son is even going to get to come home this year for Christmas. :(
i will be really sad.
i pretty much have scaled down on all the decorating. i usually put up 2 large trees and several small one around the house and carriage house. we try to deck the outside out too. last year i only put up one large tree and a 1 or 2 small trees. i've got 1 large tree up this year. no outdoor decorations have gone up yet.
i hope you start to feel better soon.
I had a hard time last Christmas for the same reasons. I had a talk with myself this year that I was going to suck it up for my kiddos....but, I'm actually enjoying it this time*!*
AMEN sister to all of the *STUFF*...my kids have soooo much more than I did. I fear that they will value nothing because of it.
Well, i'm jewish but I now celebrate xmas a little bit since DH does, and hanukkah never had the same grandeour as christmas did! I totally know what you mean, though about the kids getting throughout the year and then having nothing left to buy - we're in that situation, too, and it's definitely teaching me that I need to stop spoiling my kids so damn much, lol!! Hope you're feeling better!
I'm so not in the Christmas spirit this year....I think it is mostly due to the fact that DH is 450 miles away and I just found out he's not even coming home until 12/23 (apparently his boss is Mr. Scrooge). I'm hoping that he can work something out and get here sooner. I only have the tree up and that is it. I haven't even taken my fall wreath down and put up my xmas one on the front door.
Christmas for AJ will be great...she doesn't get much except for birthdays and Christmas, so she will be good!
Yay6 you posted the photo, cool!! I'm feeling a bit blah about Xmas so far too, trying to shake it off especially 'cause it's so early but I think it's because of other stuff. Hopefully your comes back too. No kiddies yet but I totally agree with what you are saying with the gifts and all!!
I feel the same way except for me it's the card writting, the baking, the shopping, the present wrapping, the decorating, the cleaning, the visiting, the traveling, the buying my own Christmas presents... WTF!
Next year will be different... next year will be for me!
i blogged what i think.
i hate that christmas is about presents and music and decorations. especially when a lot of the world are starving.
x
we are wii'd and ds'd out over here too. that's really all that's left. and as they get older, the things they want just get more and more expensive. for mich, we bought nothing over $10 each, except for one thing that was $34. we are finished for both mich and owen and only spent $160. just have to get some flarp and some other stocking stuffers.
Check this post out for some of thoughts on christmas this year:
http://doublehdesign.blogspot.com/2008/12/merry-countdown-begins.html
I grew up atheist, but we "celebrated" Christmas as a cultural, commercial holiday. We did not receive throughout the year, so my parents overdid Christmas, except that I never EVER got what I asked for. I always got the cheap copy.
ANYWAY, since I became religious and had children, my kids get 2 gifts. 1 from Santa and 1 from mom and dad. With 4 kids, that's still a lot of stuff, but it works out. The grandparents are not spoilers - they buy only DVDs and books for the kids (partially because they are all cheap and partially because they can ship them for cheap). And we empty the playroom before Christmas. Also for my it's Birthday/Christmas/Birthday season, so the kids are getting more stuff.
I felt bad for them this year because I did some REALLY SERIOUS cleaning and got my 3 boys down to 1 small toy box and 4 IKEA bins of stuff. And I had been adamantly opposed to getting them toys for some time, so this year they're still getting the same number of things, but only toys this year.
Ooooo, I so know how you feel!! I hate shopping for others and trying to pick out the perfect gift...yadda, yadda, yadda!
I've recently gotten back into the spirit of Christmas by trying not to make it all about the gifts...it's about family and enjoying one another. I try to ration the amout of stuff I get for the kids through the year.
I love Christmas, but this year I really don't have the desire to put up my tree. I should be excited because I bought some new ornaments when I was down in DisneyWorld this past June but the thought of having to move furniture and dig the box out from underneath my crafting supplies just doesn't seem worth it for the short period of time that it will be up.
Post a Comment