
A Gulfport Police officer was killed in an accident on Thursday while on duty and the funeral was Monday. i worked with him when i dispatched for Gulfport and he was a fine fine human. He left behind a wife and 2 children. Having been in law enforcement for what felt like eternity prior to me changing careers (oneil is still in law enforcement) there is a bond between everyone that is strong. It is even worse when you know them and their family! The funeral was very emotionally draining. I cannot beleive the support from the public who was standing along the side of the road all the way to the cemetary holding the flag. That just was amazing. The funeral procession was 7 miles (YES I SAID 7 MILES) long. and approximately 500 motor units and 500-600 police cars leading the way along with 2 helicopters. I cannot even begin to count the men and women in blue that were there.










19 comments:
So sad! :(
A fitting tribute for his selfless act of protecting the public. May God bless him and his family.
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
Wow. That is so sad. I'm sitting here trying not to cry myself.
i've heard the guys at work go on and on about how big it was. totally impressive and shows what kinda of brotherhood they have. michael told me that motor officers from around the country came. seriously fills my heart.
and if you haven't heard, mayor warr is planning on naming the new gpd after him.
this is awful. so, so sad. i'm so sorry for your loss.
*hugs*
Sorry about that, Greta. That's so sad.
Hi Dear, just coming on over to catch up, see what you have been up to and what you have been creating!!
what a sad loss .... sending you hugs!!
xo
How sad! My brother is a cop and there is a special bond between cops. When my Mom passed away it was so touching that every cop from several counties were set up along the procession, all standing so tall with their hats off over their heart. They are a rare breed and deserve so much more credit and respect than they get.
How sad......it says something about the kind of person he was when the funeral procession is 7 miles long. It makes you realize how short life is and not to take it for granted. Hopefully with the support of the town, friends, family, etc....his family will find strength and comfort.
My condolences on the loss of a good man. Hang in there.
That is SO SAD! So sorry to hear this G...my condolences. My father was a police officer for 27 years. I was always scared for him..always. Saying a prayer today for his family and friends.
OH sorry girl, i have been slow on the blogs lately , sorry for your loss :( Hugs to you ....
Jenn
Oh that is so sad! I have been in law enforcement for 20 years now and just within the last five years, have lost three officers at our office (two happened while on duty) that has been just life altering. It's a very tight, close knit family and the loss truly affects everyone so deeply. I hope I never have to attend another!
Oh man....I am not good with this stuff, just know I am sending you a huge ass hug---mwah!
So sorry about this. We lost an officer here that Micah knew last year, so sad. Hang in there...
both my parents are in law enforcement... and yes, it is such a tragedy when we lose someone who is willing to do what others wont... I, too, worked in law enforcement as a dispatcher at the El Paso County Sheriff's office in Colorado... and you do feel an eternal bond with those families...
so sad indeed. pass along my peaceful thoughts first chance, will you?
Post a Comment